If you’ve been to Wausau at any point in the past, you know it has an incredible offering of outdoor activities throughout the year. Whether it’s hiking, biking, and kayaking from Spring through Fall, or skiing, sledding, and snowmobiling during the winter, Wausau provides an incredible setting for the true outdoor enthusiast. Wausau, something of a hidden gem in Wisconsin, is an excellent place to come for winter activities. When you’re done having fun in the snow, our luxurious boutique hotel will be waiting. Located just blocks from everything you need downtown, there’s no better lodging choice in Wausau than the magnificent Stewart Inn. Book your room with us today, and discover the incredible range of winter activities in Wausau.
Winter Activities to Try
Once the snow begins to fall, Wausau is transformed into a veritable winter playground, filled with an incredible range of winter activities to immerse yourself in. It’s been named Wisconsin’s best place to play in the snow, and we can easily argue that it’s the best in the Midwest. Equipment can easily be rented in town at Sheperd & Schaller. Once you’re ready to play, here are our favorite winter activities to enjoy in Wausau:
- Downhill Skiing and Snowboarding at Granite Peak can’t be beat, and is easily considered the best skiing destination in Wisconsin.
- In Wausau, you’ll find miles upon miles of Cross Country Skiing trails, and plenty of varied terrain to keep you challenged and having fun. Beginners should test their skills at the Ringle Marsh or the Sylvan Hill Trail, which has a convenient in-town location. The Big Eau Pleine Park Trail is better for those more experienced Nordic Skiers, but the best nordic ski facility in Wausau is the Nine Mile County Forest Recreation Area. There’s even lighted trails for some incredible night skiing.
- Perhaps the most nostalgic of all winter activities is ice skating. Wausau has both indoor and outdoor ice skating rinks located at Greenheck Field House, Marathon Park, Rib Mountain, and the Mosinee Recreation Center.
- There are over 880 miles of trails in Marathon County open for snowmobiling. Wausau is right in the heart of all of them, making it an excellent home base for your snowmobiling adventures. Before you head out, please note that both in-state and out-of-state snowmobile licenses are required for operation on snowmobile trails.
- Wisconsin is a popular place for the winter sport of Curling. In fact, Wisconsin has more curling clubs than any other state. The Wausau Curling Club maintains 5 sheets of curling ice at the Marathon Park, where you can watch curling practices and tournaments throughout the season.
- Fat Tire Biking is a great way to get outdoors on 2 wheels during the snowy winter months. The Badger State Winter Games has included a 7 mile trail race that runs through Sunny Vale County Park. If you want to get in on the fun and experience the thrill of fat tire biking, the same course is open to the public with snow bikes.
- Just as hiking is popular throughout the rest of the year, snowshoeing is one of the more popular winter activities in Wausau. Rib Mountain State Park has 5+ miles of trails specifically designated for snowshoers, and Nine Mile County Forest Recreation Area also has trails suitable for snowshoeing. Other areas worth exploring are the scenic Dells of the Eau Claire Park, and the Ice Age Trail, both areas where you’ll find some truly spectacular scenery.
- As soon as the ice is solid enough, you’ll start to see ice fishing shanties pop up around Wausau. Ice Fishing is a unique form of fun during the winter, and an experience you should have at least once in your lifetime. There are over 16 boat landings between Wausau and Knowlton, which gives you access to a variety of waterways including: The Wisconsin River, Rib River, Eau Claire River, Lake Wausau, Half Moon Lake, Mosinee Flowage, Big Eau Pleine Reservoir, Lake DuBay and Mission Lake. These fishing destinations are great places to find musky, walleye, crappie, northern pike, catfish, bluegill, bass, sunfish and yellow perch.
When you’re done playing in the snow and ready for a little down time, our Inn will be here waiting. We are conveniently located near downtown Wausau, and all of the restaurants and breweries you’ll need to relax and refuel for the next day. Book your stay at our boutique hotel today, and experience these extraordinary winter activities for yourself!