Wisconsin is an incredibly fun and diverse place to visit. No matter the season, there’s plenty of things to do in Wisconsin. To go along with that vacation you’re planning, we thought we’d spend a little time to talk about unique lodging in Wisconsin. Whether you live here and are just looking for a quick place to get away, or you’re making the trek to Wisconsin for the first or tenth time, there are more than enough things to do in Wisconsin to keep you busy for a lifetime.
Just as you want each visit to Wisconsin to be a little different yet equally as magical, we think it’s fun to try out different lodging and accommodations around the state. This winter, come explore Wisconsin with us. Though we think the Stewart Inn in Wausau should be your first (and maybe last) stop, we’ve also taken the time to round up other options for unique lodging in Wisconsin. Come visit us soon, and fall in love with Wisconsin with us this winter!
10 Places to Find Unique Lodging in Wisconsin
Whether you like to spend the winters inside our outside, there’s truly something for everyone in Wisconsin. There’s great lodging for everyone, too. Are you looking for some unique lodging to match the vacation you’re planning? Try one of these great places to stay! We’d love to hear which one is your favorite.
- The Stewart Inn Boutique Hotel is located in the outdoorsy town of Wausau and offers the most luxurious accommodations in town. Whether you come to ski at Granite Peak Ski Area this winter or come to hike, kayak, or explore throughout the remainder of the year, we have little doubt you’ll enjoy the unique lodging offered by our boutique Inn.
- If you’re looking for romantic cabins in southwestern Wisconsin, try Candlewood Cabins. These romantic cabins are perfectly tucked away in the woods and offer an extraordinary destination to unwind and getaway.
- Enjoy the rare opportunity to stay in a Frank Lloyd Wright building at the Seth Peterson Cottage, located in Mirror Lake State Park. It’s a tiny house, at just 880 square feet, but it certainly fits the description of unique lodging in Wisconsin.
- Canoe Bay is a romantic, couples-only destination in Wisconsin. Stay here, and you can expect nothing short of delicious food, abundant wildlife, inherent romance, and excellent hospitality. It’s wonderful for honeymoons and special occasions, but it’s also a delightful place to just get away and relax.
- The American Club is a 5-stay resort located in Kohler Wisconsin. The rich legacy of this property, which started in 1918, has earned it a place on our list of the most unique lodging in Wisconsin. Initially, the building was constructed to provide a home and lifestyle for Kohler Factory workers. It wasn’t turned into a resort until 1981. Today, this unique lodging continues to provide luxury hospitality, along with the traditional charm and welcoming spirit it first embodied as a home.
- Lodge Kohler in Green Bay is the perfect place for Packers Fans. It’s just 100 yards from Lambeau Field and offers extraordinary guest rooms, a spa, an indoor/outdoor restaurant, and a rooftop bar.
- Head to southern Wisconsin in Beloit, and stay at the Iron Works Hotel. It’s situated on the banks of the Rock River, but it also just so happens to host one of the best restaurants, Merril and Houston’s Steak Joint.
- A trip to Wisconsin isn’t complete without a visit to Milwaukee, which is where you’ll find the incredible Iron Horse Hotel. This hotel is located in a historic building, which is reflected in its oversized and beautiful guest rooms. The best rooms might just be their loft rooms on the top floor of this former warehouse. They feature 12-foot ceilings, all-wood ceilings, exposed brick walls and beams, and stunning views of the city.
- Cranberry Castle is a wonderful cabin located on Wisconsin’s Chain O’Lakes. This unique lodging is definitely one of the state’s hidden gems, and it was even featured by Only in Your State Wisconsin. Take a step out of your ordinary life, and step into a fairy tale as this delightful Wisconsin cabin. You may never want to go home!
- Stout’s Island Lodge on Red Cedar Lake in Birchwood, Wisconsin is another unique place to go for honeymoons and other romantic getaways. You arrive at the lodge via ferry, as no vehicles are allowed on the island. It’s a true getaway, designed with nothing but your relaxation and enjoyment in mind.
The Best Lodging in Wausau WI
Though we do think each of these destinations we’ve listed for unique lodging in Wisconsin is special, we are, of course, partial to the accommodations found at Stewart Inn’s Boutique Hotel. There are few things better than a day spent exploring Wausau, but coming back to Stewart Inn Boutique Hotel to warm up is one of them. Our accommodations are reminiscent of a luxury hotel, but we offer a more traditional Bed and Breakfast experience.
At our beautifully restored Inn, you’ll enjoy stunningly restored architectural and period details from the original home, along with luxury amenities you’d expect from fine hotel brands, including deluxe linens, steam showers, gas fireplaces, the latest technology, and a wine and cheese hour every night of your stay. Not only are our accommodations wonderful, but we’re also within easy walking distance of downtown Wausau. Book your room at our luxury Bed and Breakfast in Wausau today!