One of our favorite date night spots in Wausau is at the elegant Timekeeper Distillery for a cocktail (or two). Located in the old Milwaukee Road Train Depot, you’ll notice the historic charm from the minute you arrive—beautiful exposed brick walls, dark wooden beams spanning the stark white ceiling, and Edison bulbs draped above the bar top set the mood. If you’re there at the right time, you’ll hear the train rolling by as well, sending you back to the time when the depot was operating.
Talented mixologists tend the bar, creating craft cocktails with all the bells and whistles from the Timekeeper Distillery’s own spirits. The bartenders use tricks like smoked oak, burned orange rind, and special bitters to enhance cocktails with flavor and flair. Light fare is available in the form of charcuterie and cheese boards, creative lettuce wraps and tacos, and cheesy flatbreads. You’ll find cozy, intimate seating inside and lovely, welcoming (for your dog friends, too) outdoor patio space.
Thankfully, Timekeeper Distillery is within walking distance from our Wausau Bed and Breakfast, so it’s genuinely a must-try for our guests. The Stewart Inn is known as one of the most beautiful homes in Wausau, and that’s why Innkeepers Randy and Sara wanted to share it with the public. You’ll find five luxury guest rooms with the stunning architecture of George Maher—a contemporary of Frank Llyod Wright.
Timekeeper Distillery & More Great Date Spots
We often hear from our guests that our charming town of Wausau, WI, exceeds their expectations. We have a burgeoning arts and entertainment scene, outstanding museums and shops, and a ton of hidden gems like Timekeeper Distillery for a lovely night out on the town—not to mention the ridiculous culinary talent at the restaurants in Wausau that call this city on the Wisconsin River home.
Here are six of our favorite date night spots in Wausau:
- Timekeeper Distillery: Start off with a tour of the Timekeeper Distillery operations with a knowledgable guide and a craft cocktail in hand. You’ll get a behind-the-scenes look at the stills, the distilling process, and taste a few of the award-winning spirits. After the tour, grab a quiet table and order a Wisconsin old-fashioned and delicious Mullins cheese board.
- Red Eye Brewing: This brewpub is all about wood-fired handmade pizzas and beautiful entrees with hyper-local ingredients, craft beers brewed on-site, and a lively atmosphere. On a nice day, sit out on the patio or find a bar stool for a flight of unique ales.
- Back When Cafe: For a lovely farm-to-table meal in downtown Wausau (and within walking distance from our Inn), this cafe is a great place to experience the “slow food movement.” You’ll see a mix of fried favorites like Wisconsin cheese curds and calamari, as well as hearty steak entrees and flavorful pasta dishes.
- Pinewood Supper Club: Just about 20 minutes outside of Wausau, this lakefront family-owned restaurant is worth the drive. You’ll dine in style with the rustic lodge-vibe as your backdrop and views of Half Moon Lake. Seafood entrees, steak dinners, and creative starters like their famous “flowering onion” are not to be missed.
- Blades and Boards: For one of the more unusual and casual date nights, head to this bar where you can have a beer and throw a hatchet or two. They have the beverages, but outside food is welcome, so bring a sandwich and try your hand a the bullseye.
- La Taqueria: Hands down, our favorite authentic Mexican street food restaurant in Wausau, you’ll love these fresh and flavorful tacos, burritos, and margaritas—best enjoyed on a sunny day on the festive patio!
For more great date night ideas in Wausau, head to our list of themed itineraries to get the most of your time here in Wisconsin. We’re also always happy to help with reservations!
One of the Best New Wisconsin Cabins near Wausau
Recently, we announced an exciting new venture for the Stewart Inn family, The Owl Ridge Cabin, a luxury retreat about ten minutes from downtown Wausau. The cabin is designed with clean lines, picture windows framing the beautiful views, with all of the modern conveniences we wish for on vacation, but completely private on a ten-acre wooded lot, surrounded by lush forests. We hope to host our first guests this fall!
The best part about our new cabin in Wisconsin is that you’ll be completely secluded, but still close by the best activities in Wausau, like enjoying a cocktail at Timekeeper Distillery. For now, head over to our availability calendar for the Stewart Inn and book your next stay today!