The Stewart Inn is the premier Bed and Breakfast in Wausau, and it’s, hands down, one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin. From the moment you arrive at our historic boutique hotel, you’ll fall in love with the architectural details, our stunning decor, antique appointments, and perhaps most importantly, our welcoming midwestern hospitality. We aim to make your getaway to our charming town the very best it can be!
Another perk that makes our Inn one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin is our location. Whether you enjoy fine dining and cocktails out on the town, theater, museums, and art galleries, or you prefer to hit the outdoors, hiking, or mountain biking—it’s all here and nearby. Wausau, WI, is a pleasant town that straddles the Wisconsin River, surrounded by lakes, wooded areas, and state parks. Our city still has that undiscovered charm that creates a unique ambiance and memorable getaways.
Why We’re One of the Best Places to Stay in Wisconsin
Part of what makes Wausau such a great place to visit is the combination of small-town hospitality mixed with big-city attractions. You’ll find a burgeoning art and theater scene, culinary gems, and plenty of outdoor space for exploring. First thing’s first, let’s get your lodging on the books, and we’ll tell you why our Wausau bed and breakfast is one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin.
- You can’t beat our downtown location in Wausau—especially if you enjoy exploring on foot. We’re within walking distance from two renowned art museums, the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum and the Wausau Museum of Contemporary Art, and the world-class Grand Theater. Fortunately, this also means we’re close to some of our town’s best restaurants, breweries, and distilleries.
- For the outdoor enthusiasts, our central location puts guests only 15 minutes from the Granite Peak Ski Area, which is consistently ranked one of the best ski resorts in the midwest. You’ll also have kayaking and canoeing routes, mountain biking trails, and numerous hiking options right at your fingertips.
- Our historic Inn is absolutely one of a kind; as the first property in our area to be added to the National Register of Historic Places in Wausau, and there’s a rich backstory to our structure. Designed by George Maher, a Frank Lloyd Wright colleague, the Stewart Inn is a prime example of the Prairie style, similar to the Arts and Crafts movement of the early 1900s.
- We offer a host of luxury amenities with your ideal comfort in mind. You’ll find fine linens, fluffy towels, plush robes, ultra-comfy mattresses, and a deluxe pillow menu in each guest room. These high-end additions are on top of all the standard features that you’ll find at any big-box hotel.
- Each of our five beautiful guest suites is the perfect space to call home for your time in Wausau. While all are unique with antique appointments and architectural details, every room feels pristine and comforting. We have more and more return guests every year, and they all credit these stunning rooms as the reason for their repeat patronage.
- Each of our rooms is also equipped with an elegant and private bathroom. Relax in a claw foot soaking tub (the Fuller Room) or a double steam shower (in every bathroom). These quiet spaces make us one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin for a peaceful retreat and rejuvenating getaway.
- Another main amenity that sets us apart from other lodging options in Wausau is our beautiful breakfast service. The daily, made from scratch spread is not only a fantastic way to start each morning of your stay, but it’s also an excellent way for guests to experience our impeccable service.
- Some of the most incredible feedback we hear from past guests is about our exclusive special package offerings. You’ll find multiple options for romantic additions to your stay, anything from bouquets of roses, breakfast in bed, or sparkling wine, chilled and awaiting your arrival. These extras make our Inn one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin for the most memorable vacation.
Elegant and Historic Lodging In Wausau Wisconsin
When you start to plan your next romantic getaway, solo retreat, or friends and family weekend, our lodging is by far one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin. When you choose our Wausau hotel, your lodging becomes a meaningful part of your journey, not just a standard room where you keep your luggage and lay your head at night. We pride ourselves on maintaining a warm and welcoming Inn, that brings folks back year after year. Join us for your next adventure and book one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin today!