Our charming small town on the Wisconsin River is excellent to visit during all seasons. Still, there are so many things to do in Wausau in the winter—especially for those fond of outdoor winter recreation. The snow and chilly days also make for staying in by a cozy, roaring fire or relaxing in one of our steam showers (in every guest room) all the more special. While some cities shut down at first sight of a flurry, Wausau comes to life, and our location next to one of the best ski areas in the midwest makes us a popular winter destination.
For those looking to escape from the bigger cities for some winter recreation, The Stewart Inn is about two hours from Madison, three hours from Milwaukee and Minneapolis/St. Paul, and less than five hours from greater Chicago. We’re close enough for a weekend getaway, but with so many things to do in Wausau, we guarantee you’ll want to spend more time here. One thing’s for sure, with our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast as your destination, your lodging will be luxurious and unique.
The 10 Best Things to do in Wausau WI this Winter
Now that you know where you’ll stay in our beautiful wintery town, it’s time to start planning your itinerary with all of the best things to do in Wausau. Our charming spot in the midwest has a little bit of everything: outdoor adventures, winter sports, museums, a burgeoning art scene, and exceptional culinary choices.
- Granite Peak Ski Area: As one of America’s oldest continuous ski operations, Granite Peak Ski area is, hands down, a fantastic place for skiing and snowboarding. Here you’ll find a 700-foot vertical drop, 68 runs, and four terrain parks, in addition to a super-modern high-speed chairlift system that gets up the mountain in no time flat.
- Snow Tubing: If you’re not up for skiing or snowboarding but still want to play in the snow, tubing at Sylvan Hill Park is one of the best things to do in Wausau. It’s home to a great (and the only) snow-tubing hill in the city.
- Cross-Country Skiing at 9-mile: This popular route is famous for mountain biking during the warmer months, but wintertime means the XC skiers take over the groomed trails.
- Snowshoeing at Rib Mountain State Park: Just a quick drive from our Wausau hotel, this state park is an ideal location for taking the picturesque winter wilderness of the midwest. This year, new to the park is a two-mile groomed dedicated snowshoeing trail marked by green ribbons and a beautiful way to spend the day.
- Wausau Winter Market: On Saturdays, local vendors set up shop with produce, baked goods, and artisan wares. This is a fun way to check out the bounty of Wisconsin, even in the wintertime!
- Wisconsin Breweries: Beer is a way of life in Wisconsin, and one of the best things to do in Wausau is check out the large selection of local breweries in the downtown area. The nearby Red Eye Brewing has many ales on tap and tasty food options. Make it a pub crawl, head over to Bull Falls Brewery, and find a spot in the outdoor beer garden.
- Wintertime Dining: You’ll also be impressed with the culinary prowess in the Wausau area at our local restaurants. Here’s our extensive list of fine-dining favorites, casual cafes, and unique experiences.
- Local Museums: One of the best things to do in Wausau is visit the museums. You won’t want to miss perusing the interesting bird-focused pieces at the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum and the Center for Visual Arts for modern paintings, prints, and photography.
- Live Shows: There’s something exceptionally cozy about seeing a show in the wintertime, and heading to the Grand Theater is one of the most entertaining things to do in Wausau.
- Blues Café: This annual live music event is celebrating its 21st year, and is set for mid-March in 2022. This Wausau-area tradition brings blues enthusiasts from all corners of the state and is sure to be a party. Plan ahead and grab your ticket now!
Luxurious Lodging at our Wausau Boutique Hotel
After you’ve explored these exciting things to do in Wausau this winter, one of the best feelings is coming back to our boutique hotel to warm up. Our five guest rooms are cozy, comfortable, and packed with amenities. Follow your day on the slopes with a steam shower, one of the best ways to relieve those tired muscles. Join us in the living room around 5 pm for our nightly reception, featuring yummy adult beverages, non-alcoholic options, and a fancy cheese board. We always have sweet treats on hand, too!
For your dinner plans, allow us to recommend some of our favorite Wausau restaurants for a lovely evening out. After a night on the town or curled up in your suite with your favorite book, you can expect a luxurious, restful night of sleep. Our quiet Inn is the perfect backdrop for sweet dreams. Wake in the morning refreshed with a cup of freshly brewed coffee and a complimentary delicious homemade breakfast. We can’t wait to host you; book today!