Wausau is a premiere destination for sports and outdoor enthusiasts of all varieties. Wausau is home to endless miles of wooded trails for hiking and biking and exploring, and it’s a world-class kayaking destination during the summer months. Underneath the rugged charm that Wausau is so famous for, you’ll find a cultural center that boasts an outstanding arts community, a vibrant history and culture to explore, and plenty of delicious restaurants just waiting to fuel you up for your next adventure. Book your room at our historic downtown Boutique Hotel today, and discover our best restaurants this charming foodie town has to offer.
Try These Wausau Restaurants
If there’s one thing to know about Wausau, it’s that under all of rugged exterior is a city full of surprises. Wausau’s food scene is certainly no exception. You’ll find a little bit of everything, including a rustic or retro eatery, down home cooking, Wisconsin’s famous Supper Clubs, farm to table cuisine, several craft breweries, and so much more. In fact, one of Wausau’s top restaurants, the Back When Café, has been listed as one of the top 16 most romantic places to eat in all of Wisconsin. Their humble name can be a bit misleading, but you will find some of the best upscale, seasonal eats in all of Wausau when you venture into this delicious restaurant. If you’re looking for more great finds, here are our favorite places to eat in and around Wausau. The best part is, most of these restaurants are in Wausau’s downtown core, which means they are easily walkable from our hotel!
- The City Grill is a great place to go for a gourmet meal in Wausau. They have a lavish wine and drink menu, and the food is spectacular.
- You can’t go wrong with Fat Joes Pizza if you’re looking for a quick bite. We recently enjoyed some pizza with their hell fire sauce. Thankfully, we followed the meal up with their sinful maple knots; a must try!
- Enjoy some delicious mexican food three blocks away, at Taqueria Tres Hermanos.
- The 319 Gallery & Bistro is a hidden gem in Wausau, and is one of our go-to luncheon spots at The Stewart Inn.
- Thrive Foodery has some seriously delicious maple glazed pork chops — a Wausau favorite. Otherwise, they offer community-driven and consistently delicious food.
- Head to one of our area Supper Clubs for a unique Wisconsin experience! Pinewood Supper Club is one of the top-rated clubs in the state, but Michaels Supper Club is pretty great as well!
- The Red Eye Brewing Company not only has great craft brews, but their food is delicious as well.
- Head to Sconnis AleHouse & Eatery for some tasty eats. Don’t leave until you’ve had a chance to try some of their beignets.
- Grab some delicious sushi at Masa Sushi Grill, or sample the delicious Asian Fusion cuisine at Basil. Both are simply divine.
Did we miss any of your favorites? Be sure to let us know if there’s something missing from our delicious list of restaurants in Wausau. Now that we have your mouth watering, book your room at our luxury Boutique Hotel, and start making your dinner plans!