As you might expect from a state whose pro baseball team is called the “Brewers,” beer is deeply embedded into Wisconsin’s culture and history, going backs to its days as a territory in the early 1800s when an influx of German immigrants put their indelible cultural stamp on the future state. So Wausau WI, like any city in Wisconsin, embodies that tradition with a collection of first-rate breweries, brewpubs, wineries, and spirits emporiums. In a time when many landmark event centers are closed, these places have persevered.
The best place to begin and end each day of draft and distilled discoveries is at our Wausau Boutique Hotel. The top-rated Stewart Inn, close to the center of Wausau WI, combines old Midwest charm with all the luxury amenities our guests could want or need. So plan a “Wausome” getaway this winter to enjoy some good food and drink — and start your planning by booking your room at our Wausau Hotel today!
Some of the Best Bars in Wausau WI
One of the best things about our Wausau Boutique Hotel is its location, which is an easy walk or short drive to many of Wausau WI’s best brewpubs and wineries — ideal under any circumstances but particularly so during these socially distanced ones. So, check our Wausau WI insider’s list of favorites – and check each before you go to be clear on its COVID-19 restrictions and protocols – and enjoy!
Whether you’re coming down from a day of skiing at Granite Peak Ski Area, or just looking for a great place to go and relax, these are some of the best bars in Wausau WI.
- Bull Falls Brewery is one of Wausau WI’s most popular food-and-drink spots. It was the first distributing microbrewery in the state of Wisconsin and still creates quality beers in the old German tradition. Check out its list of brews.
- Red Eye Brewing Company. Another popular Wausau WI beer emporium, this iconic place offers great pub-grub food along with great drink. And visitors will love the touch of Wisconsin culture in beer names such as the “Up Nort’ Brew-Ski” bock beer.
- Great Dane Brewing Company. This Madison-based chain chose Wausau for its first location outside of its hometown, which says something about Wausau’s appeal as a pub destination. You’ll love their “winter warmer” beverages: Puppy Chow, Peanut Bug Cup Cocoa and Merry Mule among them.
- Timekeeper Distillery. Known for its “Wet” flavored vodka seltzers, this spirits emporium offers great signature cocktails — include some hot ones for the winter season — along with outstanding small-plate fare.
- Lil Ole Winemaker Shoppe. Not really a bar, but not to be missed, either, if you love good wine and want to support a Wausau WI winemaking enterprise. Plus, cheese! How perfectly Wisconsin is that?
- Bob & Randy’s Bar. Basic, unpretentious, and highly rated by Yelp reviewers. There’s something soothing and timeless about a place that has not only Taco Tuesday, but dollar-hot-dog and 60-cent-wings specials.
- Malarkey’s Pub and Townies Grill. What could be more timely this winter than a bar with the same name as the new American president’s favorite word? Whatever your politics, you have to love a place that has not only managed to stay open but able to safely host live music and trivia nights — and also collects donations for a free-meal program.
Stay at Our Wausau Hotel During Your Winter Visit to Wausau WI
You won’t find a better blend of timeless elegance and contemporary comforts in Wausau WI than at our Wausau Boutique Hotel — just check out our luxurious guest rooms and beautifully classic common areas. (And check out our photo gallery!) Small wonder if it was the first Wausau property to be placed on the3 National Register of Historic Places!
Beyond that, you’ll appreciate the Stewart Inn’s delicious gourmet breakfasts and its nightly reception of adult beverages and cheeses, (and its all-day cookie jar!). You’ll also love its long list of luxury amenities and enhancements, its central location in Wausau WI, and its many amazing package offers for every getaway occasion. So plan a Wausome winter getaway in wonderful Wausau WI, and start by reserving your room at our Wausau Boutique Hotel today!