With everything closed down right now due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we know things like summer getaways can feel pretty far off. However, Wisconsin State Parks are opening to the public again on May 1, and that prospect has us all excited about all of the great things to do in Wausau that you can enjoy this summer. We think you’re going to need somewhere to get away after these weeks of isolation, and we’re hoping Wausau, and our boutique hotel, in particular, will be your destination of choice.
Wausau, a charming town surrounded by nature, has been named the “Best Place to Experience the Outdoors” by Wisconsin Trail Magazine. Outdoor enthusiasts truly love it here, and it’s a great place to continue practicing social distancing, while still getting away from home and enjoying a change in scenery. The Stewart Inn, Wausau’s most luxurious boutique hotel, is happy to host you this summer. Book your summer getaway today!
10 Things to do in Wausau This Summer
Wausau Wisconsin, home of the famous Granite Peak Ski Area and Wausau Whitewater, is an incredibly beautiful getaway destination. Here, you’ll find 4 seasons of scenic beauty. There are more than enough things to do in Wausau to keep you busy, too. Whether you’re looking for calm and quiet relaxation, adrenaline-filled adventures, or something in between, you’ll find it at our luxury boutique hotel.
Wausau is definitely one of Wisconsin’s undiscovered gems. While plenty of people come in the winter to ski at Granite Peak, fewer come at other times of the year to experience all of the incredible things to do in Wausau. And there are many! Give yourself permission to plan, and come spend a few days with us this summer.
Given the environment we find ourselves in, we think it’s best to focus on things that can be done outside or that still honor social distancing guidelines. Here are 10 of our favorite things to do in Wausau:
- Visit the Dells of the Eau Claire Park, where you’ll see some of Wisconsin’s most intriguing geological features along the Eau Claire River. The park has a swimming beach, nature trails, and spectacular waterfalls and rapids.
- Hop in a kayak and paddle around the river and lakes of Wausau. There are plenty of great parks and areas to choose from, including portions of the Wisconsin River. In addition to that, visitors from around the world visit Wausau for their chance to paddle at Whitewater Park. Competitors of all ages compete on the kayak course, which is fun to watch even if you don’t want to get wet.
- Visit Granite Peak in the summer! The ski area is part of Rib Mountain State Park. There are more than 13 miles of hiking trails in the park, and there are great views of Wausau and the Wisconsin River from the 60-foot observation tower at the top.
- Enjoy an evening at a traditional Wisconsin Supper Club. There are a few in the area, but the Pinewood Supper club is ranked the #2 supper club in the state. It’s definitely worth visiting!
- Fishing is a popular summer pastime all over Wisconsin. It’s no different in Wausau! There are plenty of opportunities, too, including on the Wisconsin River, Lake Wausau, and other surrounding lakes.
- Walk the trails on Fern Island Park, located near downtown Wausau in the middle of the Wisconsin River.
- Enjoy a quiet afternoon at the Bitzke Waterfowl Refuge, the Bern Wetland, or the George W. Mead Wildlife Area.
- Take a hike or enjoy some mountain biking in one of Wausau’s most popular places, the Nine Mile County Forest & Recreation Area.
- Go biking on the great trails in the area, which includes the 83 scenic miles of the Mountain-Bay State Trail.
- Grab dinner and support the wonderful restaurants of downtown Wausau, who are going to need your support now more than ever! Our Innkeeper will guide you to the best options available to you when you visit.
Now is also a great time to book your fall getaways. A few things to look forward to during the fall months include the Birds in Art Exhibit at the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, fall foliage, stunning views from scenic chairlift rides up Granite Peak, hikes in the parks and preserves around Wausau, stellar birdwatching opportunities, and so much more!
Stay in Luxury at Our Wausau Hotel
Of all of the incredible things to do in Wausau, staying at our luxury boutique hotel is at the top of the list. At our Inn, we make sure that every little detail is taken care of, so you can relax and focus on the things that really matter. Our boutique hotel goes the extra mile to offer you a traditional Bed and Breakfast experience, something you won’t find just anywhere!
Don’t let your opportunity to visit Wausau pass you buy. Book a room at our Wausau boutique hotel today!